Friday 23 October 2015

Being a massive geek (AKA attending Studio You's 'Golden Blood' at Tokyo Big Sight)

Being a rabid JJBA fan, I'd noticed things like [GB14] and [GB15] on Pixiv, and discovered that it's a JoJo-only event, held in Tokyo Big Sight (and other places across Japan)! I attended Golden Blood 17.







I planned to get there one hour early, not knowing what queuing would be like, but arrived at 9:30, walked through the building and went to the loo before realising that the regular entry place was actually back outside!


You buy a pamphlet at the tent (it varies but this time it was 1300 yen), which counts as your ticket. I didn't actually have to show it to anyone but I still had it out while I walked in, so maybe if you put it away someone might ask to see it.


People queueing for Studio You events (all in halls 2 & 3, so you have entry to all of the events, not just a specific one. There were some pairing- or character- specific events from other shows I've watched, but wasn't super into (don't remember the character names that well).

The pamphlet~

Studio You's upcoming JoJo events and the start of the GB section.

There are two maps, showing the overall area per event,
then the specific places for each part/pairing/character etc.


I sat down with the pamphlet, looked at the other events just in case, then doodled specific areas I was interested in while waiting to go in at around 11am.

However, once I got in I mostly ignored this and just went up and down the aisles, starting at the side which had most of the non-book merchandise first. XD

First buy!



I didn't take photos of any of the stalls but it's okay to do so as long as you ask! Some had really cute dolls etc. customised to look like JoJo characters. They're kind of strict about cosplay photos, though; I think there's a specific area you're supposed to take them and you're not meant to just do them on the main floor of the convention. I wasn't really bothered about photographing the cosplay in general but there was a really amazing Part 3 Joseph with flashing LED hermit purple that was so good I asked if I could take a photo. They said no, though, since there was no place to do it nearby. T_T


The event was until 3 but I ran out of money at 2! I think I had about 28000 yen in my purse to begin with. I could've happily gone up to 35000 if I'd had it.

Some places had sold out from about 1:30 as well so if you want a specific item (especially new releases AKA 新刊), make sure to visit that stall early on. I saw queues for a few stalls!

I weighted the loot when I got home. It was 5.4kg!
I don't think I will be able to take it all back to the UK with me. :P


I think I startled one of the doujinkas (?), because she was talking to her friend (also behind the desk) and I didn't understand what she said but she stood up and it looked as if she might be about to hand me something so I looked up and she collapsed back into her chair laughing and kept saying 美人、美しい and お人形さんみたい (to her friend, also behind the desk, who coolly handed me a free pamphlet. Nice wing-womaning, friend!) until after I left. XD Strange but flattering!


Pics from the Yurikamome line. I want to live here!!

It's so spacious and beautiful. ♡




Loot~

Jewellery, badges, keyrings, bag charms etc.~
One of the badges, the bag they're on, and the little hand towel were all freebies.

FREE Halloween-themed plastic folder. Free. Amazing.

The back of this was a flyer for another event I think?
But it was so cute. XD Polnareff Land!
There were also a bunch of mini-stories, 2-3 page comics etc. as free/promotional materials!

More freebies- stickers and little pictures.

Postcards as well! (The bottom left one is my favourite- so fabulous!)

Finally, the novel/doujin stacks, roughly sorted by pairing.
I bought way more JonaDio (or DioJona) than expected and was a little low/didn't buy any for some others.
The 'Orchestra' one I bought mostly because it was beautiful and the format was interesting.

Some, like the top right one, are made just like regular books.
It even has the little wrap around slip which is common in Japan!
There was a thick novel by the same people as the bottom two,
but I was 100 yen short to buy all 3 so I had to leave it. ;_;


It was interesting that lots of people brought gifts of sweets for the artists (some I believe had met before but others just talked online), and some of the artists gave sweets as well, either in return or just in general (I was given a few from stalls I bought from).

If there is a next time, I definitely want to prepare a little more! I definitely follow some of the artists there on Pixiv but didn't have time to really investigate. It would also be good to really connect with them online beforehand by commenting etc. if you're a fan of their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment